ABOUT THE IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
There is important information you need to know about ELMIRON® (pentosan polysulfate sodium) when you are reading about it on this site. This includes the use the FDA has approved for ELMIRON®, information on risks, and instructions about how to safely use ELMIRON®.
For more information, please see the ELMIRON® Product Information and discuss any questions you may have with your doctor.
ELMIRON® (pentosan polysulfate sodium) is the only oral medication FDA approved to treat the pain and discomfort of IC.
ELMIRON® (pentosan polysulfate sodium) is the only oral medication that's FDA approved to treat the pain or discomfort associated with interstitial cystitis (IC). It's important to take ELMIRON® as prescribed by your doctor and to stick with it, because IC symptom improvement may be gradual.
How to Take ELMIRON® (pentosan polysulfate sodium)
- Always take ELMIRON® (pentosan polysulfate sodium) according to the instructions given to you by your doctor. The recommended dosage of ELMIRON® is one capsule, 3 times a day, taken with water at least 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after meals.
- It is important that you don't stop taking ELMIRON® or reduce your dosage just because you are feeling better or because ELMIRON® is not working right away.
- Follow any other advice your doctor gives you for managing symptoms — for example, avoiding foods that may make your symptoms worse.
- While taking ELMIRON®, avoid anticoagulant therapy such as warfarin sodium, heparin, high doses of aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, until you speak with your doctor.
- If you are undergoing surgery, talk to your doctor about when to discontinue ELMIRON® prior to surgery.
- You should talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or have any liver problems.
What to Expect
Symptom improvement with ELMIRON® can be gradual and may take 3 to 6 months to notice relief. It's important to stay in contact with your doctor to discuss your progress over time. If you have not experienced symptom improvement by 6 months of therapy, please talk to your doctor.