The Only Oral Medication FDA Approved to Treat the Bladder Pain or Discomfort of Interstitial Cystitis (IC)
ELMIRON® is the only oral medication that's FDA approved to treat the bladder pain or discomfort associated with IC.
How to take ELMIRON®
- Always take ELMIRON® according to the instructions given to you by your doctor. The recommended dosage of ELMIRON® is one capsule, 3 times a day, taken with water at least 1 hour before meals or 2 hours after meals
- It is important that you don't stop taking ELMIRON® or reduce your dosage just because you are feeling better or because ELMIRON® is not working right away
- Follow any other advice your doctor gives you for managing symptoms — for example, avoiding foods that may make your symptoms worse
- While taking ELMIRON®, avoid anticoagulant therapy such as warfarin sodium, heparin, high doses of aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, until you speak with your doctor
- If you are undergoing surgery, talk to your doctor about when to discontinue ELMIRON® prior to surgery
- You should talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or have any liver problems
What to expect
Symptom improvement with ELMIRON® can be gradual and may take 3 to 6 months to notice relief. It's important to stay in contact with your doctor to discuss your progress over time.
If you have not experienced symptom improvement by 6 months of therapy, please talk to your doctor.